I am an avid reader, and I do everything I can to pass that love on down to my kids. Naturally, this means that I pick up books about all sorts of holidays and seasons, because what better way to get in the mood then by reading all about your favorite days? Here are some of our Halloween favorites:
1. Humbug Witch by Lorna Balian – This is a big hit with the girls in my house. It’s a story about a witch who looks truly terrifying, but can’t quite seem to DO witchy sorts of things. Her cackle sounds more like a giggle, and her broom? Didn’t fly!
2. A Halloween Mask for Monster by Virginia Mueller – What can I say, Monster needs a Halloween costume, but his masks are too scary. He tried to be a girl, and a boy, and even a dog, but all of those masks were just too scary. What does Monster finally decide to go as? Himself!
3. Go Away Big Green Monster by Ed Emberley – When my oldest went to kindergarten, this was the first book he checked out of the school library. Then he renewed it every time he had library for the next two years. It’s definitely a family favorite, and your kids will get a kick of telling the big green monster to go away!
4. Where the Wild Things Are by Maurice Sendak – It’s not really a Halloween book, but it has wild things that roar their terrible roars and gnash their terrible teeth. Max sails across the sea and becomes King of the Wild Things, but is that really what he wants?
5. The Little Green Witch by Barbara Barbieri McGrath – A spooky take on the classic Little Red Hen. The Little Green Witch’s friends don’t help with any of the unhousework, and she has to hang the cobwebs and tend the pumpkins all by herself. When it’s time to eat the pumpkin pie, the little green witch has a surprise for her lazy friends.
* * * * * * * *